Sunday, January 30, 2011

Criticizing Photographs: Chapter 1

Terry Barrett
 Criticizing photographs by Terry Barrett was very informational and talked about a lot of aspects of criticism that I never even thought about. I feel like this chapter was very repetitive but there were many sections that really stood out to me. I learned the most from the "kinds of criticism" section. I didn't know there were so many types of criticism and its interesting to see how they differ. The most interesting section that I really enjoyed reading was "relations between critics and artists". I think that it would be very hard to have a relationship with a critic. I think they should keep their distance so they don't have a bias. This way it would be easier for them to be completely honest and say how they really feel.  
The quote that really stood out to me throughout this whole chapter was about how the relationship between the artist and critic should be. Jerry Saltz states, "There ought to be an uneasy alliance between artists and critics. You should not want to 'love' your critic. For the critic this means not being 'loved' by everyone. But a critic shouldn't want love. He or she wants respect". 
This reading was very interesting and informing and I can't wait to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment